Saturday 9 October 2021

Dark and Light

It is in the darkest times that we most know our need of God’s light

worldchoralday.org
We have had some dull days and dark evening recently. It isn’t easy to throw off the knife-edge anxiety of the covid era, even though most rules have been relaxed. Many people have thought ‘I wish I could see more clearly.’ I have felt a need to cry out to God for help in understanding and coming out of the shadows. The bible shows me that God knows our circumstances: 

‘In Him was life and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it' John 1:4-5 and 'the true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.’ John 1:9

C.S.Lewis stated: “I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen; not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” It is in the darkest times that we most know our need of God’s light. Many years ago, I gave our daughter a lift to a friend’s 16th birthday party by Shustoke Reservoir. The clubhouse carpark was dark and crowded with cars and people, so when I spotted a space, I was glad to reverse into it. You may have heard a saying: ‘My wife’s fine at reversing, so long as the cars either side are Reliant Robins..’ Well, I nearly achieved that, sideways!  You may have guessed, it was the slipway – the clue was in the name, Shustoke Sailing Club. I could have done with a good light then; my daughter’s parting shot was something like: “ I’m glad that no one saw us in the dark, make sure that dad picks me up” My name was mud, almost literally! Of course, I have been forgiven and redeemed.

heartlight.org
Anyway, God has given us a clue in the name, JESUS.  And He has given us His work to be our light. As it says in Romans 5:8 ‘But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.’  From the epistle, I Corinthians 13:12  ‘Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror, then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part, then I shall know fully even as I am fully known.’ Back in John 1:14 we read: ‘the word became flesh and dwelt among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father full of grace and truth.’ 

Isaiah had declared: ‘see darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples.’ But this is sandwiched between the promises: ‘Arise, shine, for your light has come and the glory of the LORD rises upon you.’  And, ‘.. but the LORD rises upon you and his glory appears over you.’  

Matthew in his gospel picks this up: ‘The people living in darkness have seen a great light, on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.’

We still need to repent of our doubts and fears, trust in His love and light, and so help to share God’s light with the world.



Author: Mandy Windridge

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and other

No comments:

Post a Comment