Saturday 9 April 2022

God delights

How often do we actually sense that the Lord delights in us, in who we are and what we do

gardendesign.com
The covid pandemic has bought about many changes for all of us. One of the things that it has changed for me is where I sit! For my morning quiet time with the Lord, I used to sit in an armchair in the corner of the room, which gave me a lovely view of the lounge. Then during the first lockdown I moved to a different chair, which gave me a wonderful view of the garden. I think during lockdown I just wanted to see something different than four walls! But what it also gave me was a window on to the early morning activities of the garden and with it a new appreciation for the wonder of watching the various animals and birds that visit our garden on a daily basis. The squirrel that does his morning acrobatic mission impossible style visit to the bird table to see what tit bits he can gobble up; so of course, we now put extra fat balls out just for him. The little tits that dot about so quickly and need a different type of feeder away from the bird table and therefore the dominance of the bigger birds. The Blackbirds who do their wonderful little run across the lawn, so busy and so purposeful, and of course, the great lumbering fat pigeons who make such a mess and who we moan about, but we feed them non the less. But the one I love most is the tiny mouse that pops up from under the decking to dash around at supersonic speed gathering whatever food is lying around, for his family. This has resulted in us putting a special supply of food just for the mouse under a little wire cage so the birds don’t eat it first. I know people might think we are mad for encouraging mice into the garden, but honestly, I cannot tell you the delight I get from watching his antics, which always bring a smile, and a sense of delight. I was watching him again the other day, after I had placed some marmite covered corn snacks down for him (only the very best for our mouse!) when the thought struck me that if I get so much pleasure from watching a little mouse and take time to provide for him and his family, how much more does my Father take delight in me and my family. 

It’s a simple thought, but how often do we actually sense that the Lord delights in us, in who we are and what we do. I am so conscious of my shortcomings and failures that I often come apologetically before the Lord, trying to put it all right, and seeking how I might please Him. Trying hard to follow His word or do what He asks me to do, usually failing miserably. But we have been reminded so often during the past 2 years of how the Lord delights in us. We have been exhorted to realise that the Lord welcomes us into His presence, openly and lovingly so that we should not creep into His presence afraid of His disapproval, but we should come comfortably before Him as being welcomed by a loving Father who wants to talk with us and share His heart with us, and for us to share our heart with Him.  

The psalmist really grasps this and writes:

Psalm 18:19 He led me to a place of safety, he rescues me because he delights in me (NLT)  

Psalm 37:23 The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives (NLT)

Psalm 147:11 No the Lords delights is in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love (NLT)

Psalm 149:4 For the Lord delights in his people: he crowns the humble with victory (NLT)

biblestudytools.com
It’s a total wonder to me why the Lord would take delight in me, when there are so many times I fail and frankly I don’t take delight in myself. You know, if he could, Satan would keep us in that place of defeat and mistaken identity, because it brings us into a sense of separation and alienation from God, when the truth is the very opposite. We find lots of references in the Bible that remind us how the Lord sees us and His will and desire for us.  Isaiah says “and you will be given a new name by the Lords own mouth.  The Lord will hold you in his hand for all to see, a splendid crown in the hand of God. Never again will you be called the forsaken city or the desolate land.  Your new name will be the city of God’s delight and the bride of God, for the Lord delights in you" Isaiah 62:2-4 (NLT). Although this is a reference to Jerusalem, we also know Isaiah spoke these prophetic words over those that become part of the Kingdom of God; us!

A friend rang me recently to encourage me that they had received a real sense of the intense pleasure of the Lord towards the work we were involved with as a group, and that He was pleased with this work, and that the Lord wanted us to know this. It blows my mind to think that the Lord would take time to encourage us that way, but the truth is He is always encouraging us, we often just don’t choose to receive it, or believed that He feels about us like that.

There are lots of occasions in the gospels where Jesus reveals to us how much the father loves and delights in us. “For God loved the World so much that he gave his one and only son so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16 NLT) But even that amazing truth often does not convince us that He delights in us. Delights to watch over us to commune with us. Jesus really expresses the relationship the Father wants with us in his prayer in John 17:23 (NLT) “I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me”. I could go on and on explaining from God’s word just how much He delights in us, enjoys being in our company and longs for us to just be in His presence and share in His love for us. 

So as I sit in my chair enjoying watching the daily marvel of life in my garden, delighting in watching them eat the food we put out for them, knowing it will feed and sustain them, watching them live their lives and provide for their families, looking out for predatory cats who would love to just pick them off, throwing myself wildly at the patio windows like a mad woman should any cat appear, enjoying the characteristics and personalities of each and every little creature; I am so thankful!  So thankful that my life is loved, sustained, watched over and was ultimately sacrificed for, by my creator, my God, my Father, my saviour and my protector.

Eventually, however I get tired and have to go to sleep, frankly I cannot watch over the garden all day, I am only human. But the Bible assures us that the God who loves us, delights in us and gave all for us, never slumbers or sleeps, never gets distracted, never ceases in His care for us He is God, all powerful, all present and all loving. I can have confidence in knowing that I am secure because he delights in me. Thank you, Lord.



Author: Jan Pearson

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and other

No comments:

Post a Comment