Saturday 11 March 2023

The prayer bank

How much more focussed and powerful would our prayers be if we were able to say like Jesus “I say and do only what the Father tells me to”

talktotheword.com
John 14:12-13 records Jesus saying: “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son”.

This scripture is part of the conversation that Jesus had with His disciples after the last supper. The scripture invites us to use “Jesus’ bank account”. “Whatsoever you ask on my account” one version renders it. Wow! That’s a pretty big invitation – to use Jesus’ credit with the Father in our praying!

If we had rich friends and one of them said: “Here is access to my bank account – spend what you like”… There would probably be conditions, and we may need a sort code, account number and password as well to access the account. We also may need to explain to the friend why and how the credit was used.

Its all there in these verses:

The funds are available because Jesus was returning to the Father

The account is accessed by faith (he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also)

The resources are released through asking the Father in the name of Jesus – The implication is that the request is reflected in the name, will and purpose of the Godhead

The reason for the release is to bring glory to the Father

The great thing is that this bank account is never depleted, never shuts and the access codes are given to all who enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Sam, a prison chaplain once preached a sermon that I have brought to mind on many occasions. He said that the Father’s answer to our prayers is either “Yes” or “No” or “Not Now”. Jesus told us that he did and said only what the Father showed Him and told Him to do. Of course, for this reason, Jesus knew in advance that the Father’s answer to some prayers would be “no”. Maybe that the Father told Jesus that His answer for the man sitting at the temple gate beautiful was “no” as far as He was concerned or “not yet” taking into account Peter and John’s later obedience:

wordpress.com
Acts 3:1-8: One day Peter and John went to the Temple at three o'clock in the afternoon, the hour for prayer. There at the Beautiful Gate, as it was called, was a man who had been lame all his life. Every day he was carried to the gate to beg for money from the people who were going into the Temple. When he saw Peter and John going in, he begged them to give him something. They looked straight at him, and Peter said, “Look at us!” So he looked at them, expecting to get something from them. But Peter said to him, “I have no money at all, but I give you what I have: in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth I order you to get up and walk!” Then he took him by his right hand and helped him up. At once the man's feet and ankles became strong; he jumped up, stood on his feet, and started walking around. Then he went into the Temple with them, walking and jumping and praising God.

How many times do we look upon apparently “unanswered prayers” because we do not know what the Father’s will is? In a way no prayer is unanswered although some we are told are “unheard” by the Lord (Psalm 66:16-19): Come and listen, all who honour God, and I will tell you what he has done for me. I cried to Him for help; I praised Him with songs. If I had ignored my sins, the Lord would not have listened to me. But God has indeed heard me; He has listened to my prayer.

The Lord can refuse to respond on some occasions (e.g., James 1:6-8 – asking in unbelief):

But when you pray, you must believe and not doubt at all. Whoever doubts is like a wave in the sea that is driven and blown about by the wind. If you are like that, unable to make up your mind and undecided in all you do, you must not think that you will receive anything from the Lord.

I think that as Jesus was “tested in all points as we are” it is likely that at least sometimes, in common with us, He didn’t know why the Father said “no”? Be that as it may, we can access Jesus’ account in prayer by hearing and sometimes “seeing” what the Father’s will is in any given situation – and accessing the resources that are at the Father’s disposal.

I think that there is a vast amount about “knowing the mind and will of the Father” that we generally don’t access? How much more focussed and powerful would our prayers be if we were able to say like Jesus “I say and do only what the Father tells me to”?

There are of course occasions in the bible where someone’s cry has either “changed God’s mind” or we are told that “God heard their cry” and acted. Examples of this are Hezekiah’s life being extended by 15 years, Amos praying that God would not destroy Israel by fire, and the people of Nineveh repenting after hearing Jonah’s message. Generally, these folk were pleading in desperation and / or interceding for a desperate need. Equally, sometimes the urgent urging of the Holy Spirit for others is sufficient to drive us to our knees and seek access to that bank account of resources that Jesus has opened up for us. If God sends us to our knees, then we can be sure that its for a good reason:

James 5:16“The fervent prayer of a good person has a powerful effect”.

Luke 11:9“And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.

2 Chronicles 7:14If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Acts 4:30-31Stretch out your hand with healing power; may miraculous signs and wonders be done through the name of your holy servant Jesus.” After this prayer, the meeting place shook, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit. Then they preached the word of God with boldness.

Even so do it Lord we pray…



Author: Chris Pearson

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and other

No comments:

Post a Comment