Saturday 15 June 2024

He Never Fails

He has promised me that He will never leave me, nor will He ever forsake me.

Are these simply encouraging words, or do they have a genuine meaning for my life?


Mansfield Baptist Church
On Thursday 18th April, I read the following in “Faith’s Chequebook”, a daily devotional written by Charles Spurgeon. For some reason I was prompted to make a note of it on my phone:

"l will be with you: I will not fail you, nor forsake you"   (Joshua 1:5).

This word to Joshua is often quoted; it is the basis of that New Testament word "He has said, I will never leave you, nor forsake you."

Beloved, a life of warfare is before us, but the LORD of Hosts is with us. 

Are we called to lead a great but fickle people? This promise guarantees us all the wisdom and prudence that we shall need.

Have we to contend with cunning and powerful enemies? Here is strength and valour, prowess and victory.

Have we a vast heritage to win? By this sign we shall achieve our purpose; the LORD Himself is with us.

It would be woe to us indeed if Jehovah could fail us; but, as this can never be, the winds of disquietude are laid to sleep in the caverns of divine faithfulness. 

On no one occasion will the LORD desert us. Happen what may, He will be at our side. Friends drop from us, their help is but an April shower; but God is faithful, Jesus is the same forever, and the Holy Spirit abides in us.

Come, my heart, be calm and hopeful today. Clouds may gather, but the LORD can blow them away. 

Since God will not fail me, my faith shall not fail; and as He will not forsake me, neither will I forsake Him. Oh, for a restful faith!

I thought no more about it, but a week later, I had a small accident in which I fractured one of my vertebrae in my spine. This caused a serious reduction in my mobility, as you may imagine.

Added to this, in the following week, I was informed by my Haematologist that my usual test results were indicating that my Myeloma was returning, having been in remission for seven years. This came as bit of a disappointment but goes someway to explaining some of the other physical challenges I’ve experienced over the past few months. There is a degree of uncertainty, but it looks as though I will need to start another course of treatment later in the year. On balance though, the Lord has been very generous to me. When I was first diagnosed I was told that a five-year treatment/remission cycle was the norm, but he has given me seven years. Indeed, the Haematologist told me that the norm was nearer three years than five so thank you Lord!

As I reflected on the implications of my recovery period after my accident and the uncertainty surrounding any proposed treatment regime for my Myeloma, I was concerned for ability (or lack of ability) to fulfil my roles as husband/partner to Thelma, as part of the leadership team at MCF, as a Police Chaplain and as a good neighbour within our community. 

It was then that the Lord reminded me of the scripture and reflection he had prompted me to save on 18th April.

He has promised me that He will never leave me, nor will He ever forsake me.

Are these simply encouraging words, or do they have a genuine meaning for my life?

Spurgeon’s reflection sets out a number of areas  of ”ministry” in which the Lord promises to be present and the reality of this was brought home to me this week after a conversation with a dear friend and colleague from the Police. He pointed out that the Lord has used me for His purposes in the past few years despite my health problems and my diminishing mobility.

Piterest
This has brought me to the realisation that my perception of my “calling,” husband/partner, leader, chaplain, or neighbour is not important. What is important is the Lord’s will for my life and my desire and willingness to listen to His voice and submit to His will.

This realisation has lifted a weight from my spirit, and I can face whatever is coming with equanimity and a degree of excitement knowing that I will not face it alone but with the Lord as He has promised that He will never leave me or ever forsake me as well as the support of my loving wife and friends.

I am aware that a number of my brothers and sisters have experienced health issues in recent years and months and that many of us are feeling the effects of the passage of time. If, like me, you have been asking the question “What is left for me Lord?,” I would commend this scripture and reflection to you. I pray that you too will find “A restful faith.”

Have a blessed week.


Author: Alan Cameron

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others. 


No comments:

Post a Comment