Sunday 28 March 2021

The Orchid

What greater gift could we have than a new life in Jesus!? Let’s take care of it; He will be blessed, others will be blessed, and so will we.

Source: KJV Bible Verses
Over the years, I’ve occasionally been given an Orchid; although I very much appreciated the gift, it also concerned me because orchids always seemed to die on me. Then a few years ago, someone gave me another one bearing large beautiful two-tone flowers, but this time there was a label stuck in the soil with instructions about ‘Taking care of your Orchid’. When I read this, it soon became clear why the others had died; - I’d been giving them the same care as I gave the other indoor plants, making sure I gave them enough water etc. No wonder the others had soon died, for orchids obviously don’t like much water; in fact, you almost have to neglect them to be kind to them.

That set me thinking of something of very much more importance: - Jesus has given me a new LIFE, but am I taking care of this life in the way He wants me to? Thankfully there are some instructions of how to keep our new lives healthy and alive in His precious Word, the Bible. God, the Maker of the heavens and the earth, makes us a promise which can be found in Isaiah 55:10-11 ‘As the rain and snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my Word that goes out from my mouth: it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it’

Since my Orchid’s first lovely show of flowers, it has produced two more lots of beautiful blossoms. It may have looked a bit untidy and unproductive in between times, but unseen to my eyes, it was busy storing up food for producing another flourish of flowers. How thankful I was that I continued following the instructions and didn’t throw it out just because it looked as if nothing was happening!

Source: PInterest
Again, how like our lives, that seems from time to time; we (or certainly I) sometimes wonder what’s happening, until I remember that the Lord uses these ‘latent’ times for Him to be working away in us, teaching us to be at peace while storing up food from His Word, listening to His voice, and learning to trust Him more, ready for whatever He has planned in the future, to bring Him joy and glory.

He has made us with great care, and for a purpose; Colossians 1:16 ‘All things were created by Him and for Him’, and in His Word He has given us all the advice we need for whatever circumstances we might find ourselves in. What greater gift could we have than a new life in Jesus! Let’s take care of it; He will be blessed, others will be blessed, and so will we.

Author: Joan Townsend

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others

No comments:

Post a Comment