Sunday 7 October 2018

Life

Loving words started to sink in and I looked at life in a different way, a way that says to me ‘you are not alone, you have never been on your own’. This is when I realised that Jesus was there all along

Source: Spreadshirt
I chose the title for this article because life has a tendency to throw curve balls at you from all directions. The first blog I wrote, just under a year ago, was a testimony from my baptism. In the article I told my tormentors that they no longer had a hold on me, which I still stand by now, however, sometimes the demons come back to haunt me. On these occasions I am the one losing, I let them win because that is what I have always done, until I hear a voice in me that tells me I am better than that and makes me realize how far I have come. When I got baptised I did not feel any different, I still felt like the lost and very lonely little girl that I always was. Now I understand where I really was then, I was in the midst of grieving for my father but life carried on as it always does. The little girl in me was crying and roaming lost in the mist. I got swept up in this stream of life, rolling with what ever happened, frightened of losing people, like I lost my father, to the point where I pushed the person I love to the point of backing off and becoming friends, due to me being frightened of losing everything.

It is just over a year ago now that my father passed away and I feel very different, I still miss him very much but my heart hurts less and I know he is safe and I will see him again. I have gone on a journey, a journey that I am still very much on, in discovering the Lord. The more I travel on this path the more I truly believe He is my Rock, and these things had to happen and there will be a reason for it, but I do not need to know right now. However, me being me wanted to know why, and a fork in my path developed and the Lord watched me take the wrong turn, the path that I took, took me back to my dark place where I saw no point in anything anymore. I walked through each day doing the things I thought needed to be done. Everyone had backed off so I thought, here I was on my own with the exception of my mum who was also not in a good place missing her husband of 46 years.

I felt alone, like being put in the middle of a desert and there is nothing for miles and miles, just me. My worst fear had come true, or so I thought. Until Inie, Tina, Jo, Jan, Julie and Shelley (women from the church I attend) showed me that there is more to my story than I could ever see. Loving words they said started to sink in and I looked at life in a different way, a way that says to me; ‘you are not alone, you have never been on your own’. This is when I realised that Jesus was there all along, putting who I regarded as people from church, but now are friends, good friends, on my path in different ways and different stages of my life. To show me; ‘look at who is around you, look what they are doing, they are there with you caring and welcoming’. Then I firmly knew I will never be alone. Last Sunday whilst listening to the sermon at church, I started to think as the Pastor asked; ‘when was the last time you told people about Jesus?’, I suddenly realised; ‘I have found Him personally, I have found my Father, My Rock’; Psalm 18:2 ‘The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold’.

Source: Twitter
When I first started going to church I always sat at the back where I felt safe, where I could see everyone and hoped not many people could see me. Being at the back was my home for many a month watching and listening. Until one day I got invited to do the computer/projector at the front of church, the little girl in me was shouting at me; 'No, you cannot do this, please no'. I knew I could not do this, but Inie, Shelley and Julie knew different and did not let me think about it. On church days, up the front I would go and I listened and learned. Today I now do the words with pleasure as I know that this is in Jesus's plan for me and I also know He is with me every time I do the computer. John 12:26 ‘Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me’.

My friend Jan gave me a book to read (Redeeming Love) and it is based on the book of Hosea in the Bible. The book can also be seen as a love story, but as I read it, I could not stop thinking that in some way this represents me. Like I said at the beginning; life regularly throws curve balls at you and reading the book made me think of what I have lived and put myself through and all of the dark times and losses, also about life in general and how I have survived it. I know that the voice in my head fighting the demons with me, is the Lord Jesus, who has been with me through thick and thin, rough and smooth, and I never knew it until now when I have a sense of the Lord and what He can do. Psalm 86:7 ‘When I am in distress, I call to you, because you answer me’. He has proven to me that He is there and He will not desert me; Deuteronomy 31:6 ‘Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you’.

I was recently invited to have tea and a chat with another church friend, Tina, and whilst I was there Tina said something that has stayed with me ever since. Tina said that she and her husband Gary had prayed for me and the situation I was in at the time, and the Lord replied by asking Tina to tell me that this situation happened for a reason, and that this is what had brought me to Him. Wow!! this stuck firm with me, again confirmed that I am not on my own.

So now whatever life throws at me I know that the Lord is with me and my friends are his disciples who I can have a caring relationship with, just like I can with Him; Psalm 121:7 ‘The LORD will keep you from all harm-- he will watch over your life’.

God bless.

Author: Vicki Long

May God bless and enrich your life   

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others

4 comments:

  1. A very honest and open testimony which shows that there is a way to navigate through the choppy waters of life, there is a way to come through adversity, there is a way to leave the past behind and there is a way to move forward as a new creation. That way is found in Jesus. John 14:6 'I am the way and the truth and the life'. Thank you for sharing such a personal message. May God continue to bless you as you continue to grow in Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dear sister in Christ for such a brave testimony and I pray with all my heart that God will use this to sow seeds into the hearts of many for his Kingdom and for his Glory ALWAYS.
    If the blog was not emotional enough the song just tipped me over the edge. A beautiful song "I wont give up on us .......i'm giving you ALL my love."
    Thank you Abba Father for the Blessing of this blog, help "us" your children to give you ALL our love this day we pray Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic honest blog straight the heart what a great blessing when we can see God hands on some one life it gives encouragement on our journey with the Lord may the peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with all Amen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for opening your heart and writing this lovely blog im enjoying following your journey with the Lord from your last blog to this one. i find it personally very encouraging , and what a wonderful thing for you to see the love of
    (Jesus Christ ) evident in our Church through the body of Christ . God Bless you my sister in Christ , keep defining yourself Radically as one beloved of God x

    ReplyDelete