Sunday 19 July 2020

God is Always with us.

After he left, God just turned up and His amazing peace and presence filled the room. I was in awe and just continued to give thanks and bask in His almighty presence.

I woke up Monday morning (6th July) and realised something wasn't quite right. Knee pain and fluid on my knee is not a new thing to me. I'd had fluid on my knee since Christmas but it randomly disappeared overnight a couple of weeks previous. Having had two weeks of a 'normal' knee, I thought it was on the mend. Waking up in pain on the 6th of July soon burst that bubble!
I got up and carried on with my day as usual but I noticed my knee became more red, swollen, warm and painful throughout the day. My condition became so pathetic that by the end of the day my husband resorted to throwing me over his shoulder just so I could get to the bathroom!

We were hoping it would improve overnight but if not, we'd take a trip to the hospital to get it checked out in the morning.
That is exactly what happened but in a much less organised and planned manner. I'd passed out twice in the morning - the second time I'd apparently stopped breathing and was totally unresponsive. Hubby calls for an ambulance and vwallah! I get my morning visit to the hospital!
My trip to the hospital wasn't as short as I expected. I ended up staying in for four days. This wasn't going to be an easy journey. Due to Covid-19 I wasn't allowed any visitors while I was in Emergency. Nearly two days in and I desperately wanted hubby to visit - to see a friendly face - someone I knew who wasn't coming to see me just to take more blood or perform more super painful tests!

The doctors and nurses were so friendly and helpful. They told me everything...EVERYTHING! I'm hearing words like sepsis being thrown around and they're worried the infection in my knee will spread to my organs. I'm not scared of death. Through Christ, death has lost its sting. Problem is, the enemy found a new way to mess with my head. I couldn't help but think of my two children having to experience grief and growing up without their mother. This broke me.

Over the next two days I was an emotional wreck. This is where God stepped in and took control of the situation.
A pastor friend and his family helped out with the children massively while my husband was visiting (by the end of day 2) and trying to keep normality in check. This gave me some peace of mind, knowing we have people around us who care and are willing to help when I'm not there. 

Another big thing was these messages that came over the public address system every evening. I could hear the Lord's prayer and messages about Jesus. With all the noise and beeping that goes on in a hospital I couldn't always make out exactly what was being said but knowing that prayers and words from the bible were in the air was soothing to my soul. I brought this up with a nurse and asked if someone from the chaplaincy team could come pray with me.
I'm finally asleep. It's midnight. Then a Catholic priest walks in! I found this rather amusing as that wasn't quite what I was expecting, being Christian and all. That and the guy in the bed next to mine was also a Catholic priest!! 

This was to be my final night at the hospital and I was fairly certain I was starting to improve now. I had a strong urge to pray with someone. But not asking for more intervention from God. This time I just wanted to give thanks. To give thanks that the infection didn't spread. To give thanks that I didn't have to be transferred to another hospital to have surgery. To give thanks that my family was taken care of so well and for all the small, daily ways that God stepped in to remind me His mighty hand was on it all.
The priest didn't stay long. He asked a few questions, we prayed, he went on his merry way. After he left, God just turned up and His amazing peace and presence filled the room. I was in awe and just continued to give thanks and bask in His almighty presence.

I was discharged from hospital on the Friday afternoon feeling sore and wobbly but incredibly blessed.
It's still bothering me that my children could have ended up without a mom had things taken a turn for the worse. But I can look back now and know that God will step in and carry us when we have no control over the situation we are in.
Thank you Lord for never letting me go!

''Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you.'' (Deuteronomy 31:6).




Author: Sam Tarplin 

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others.

1 comment:

  1. Now that is a testimony! Thank you Lord for your mercy and thank you Sam for sharing.

    ReplyDelete