Saturday 26 December 2020

God's Got It Covered

This day proved to us that, even when we're unaware of what's coming, God knows and has it all in hand.

One of the things we learn about and utilise when we know the Lord is how we can lean on Him and reach out to Him when things go wrong, or even right!

I had an eye opening experience a short while ago. It caught both my husband and I off guard but we were totally in awe of how God had us covered!

My husband received a text message from our pastor in the morning asking if everything was okay and that God had really put it on his heart to pray for our family. He sounded genuinely concerned! To which my husband replied, “Yep, all great this end thanks!” What we didn't realise was that things were going to become very difficult for us later that day. But God knew this and He was starting to put things in place right from the morning to make things a little more bearable for us.

At 4:30pm our 2 year old, Elijah, suddenly started to show signs that he was in pain. He was crying, kicking his legs and rolling around on the floor. Whilst totally caught up in being clueless as to what's going on with him, how to help him or how severe our next step should be (ambulance?) my phone starts to ring. I can see it's our old neighbour but I'm really not in a position to answer her call at this point. A few minutes later, Elijah has calmed down so I drop her a quick message to apologise for missing her call and fill her in as to why. She advised me of a number we should call to get further medical advice. We were totally unaware of this number and it really felt like God put it on her heart to contact us at the exact time that she did so we could receive our 'next step' instructions. This call was very out of the blue. We're terrible at keeping in touch!

Upon making the call we were quickly advised to take our son to the children's emergency hospital, downtown. This filled me with dread for so many reasons. The main one being the fear of what was wrong with Elijah but also, I hate driving into the city at night, and parking in the city always seems impossible to successfully pay for! Thankfully, the drive was uneventful. Found the hospital. Found the right place to park. By this time, Elijah was fast asleep from the drive which was great as we all know you have to wait ages in hospitals! Praise the Lord, there was no queue and we waited for around 5 mins before we were seen!

While we were there, my son woke up and the pain started all over again. It got worse and worse to the point where he was screaming and clinging on to me for dear life. It really broke my heart. Thankfully, the doctor and nurse could see what was happening and quickly dosed him up on painkillers and antibiotics and sent us on our way.

After the stress of the evening and the emotions this brought about my brain felt like it flat-lined. I could just about function but I couldn't think straight.  So when I try to pay for my parking ticket and the machine keeps declining my card I start to panic. No cash. The place is deserted. This is my only payment method! Argh!

But God saw this coming. I start walking back to the car. How that'll help I don't know! But then I heard footsteps behind. It was a lady with her daughter who'd also blatantly just come from the same place as us judging by the huge plaster on the poor tot's head! I try to string a sentence together to tell her of my situation. I don't really know what I expected and I'm not sure I made a lot of sense either! But bless her, she understood and offered to pay for the ticket for me. Thank you Lord for that lady!  (I'm never parking downtown again!!

Got home. Got Elijah to bed. The next challenge was that we had to pick up a prescription for his antibiotics. It's 10:30pm on a Saturday evening and most places are now closed or working at reduced hours because of Covid (boooo!). Also, where we live, we need health cards to collect medication. Do you think we knew where these were?! My husband prayed about it and found them almost immediately!

I was warned by the doctor that the next 24 hours could be a bit worse for Elijah before we see an improvement. Well, praise the Lord this wasn't the case! He recovered a lot quicker than we expected, albeit a bit fearful at times.

This day proved to us that, even when we're unaware of what's coming, God knows and has it all in hand. He got the ball rollin' right at the beginning of the day by prompting someone to pray for us.

You have searched me, LORD, and you know me. 2 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. 3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. 4 Before a word is on my tongue you, LORD, know it completely. 5 You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Psalm 139 : 1-6 (NIV)



Author: Sam Tarplin 

May God bless and enrich your life



Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment