Saturday 7 August 2021

Challenge of the Crocheted Mat

He wants to help and empower us so that we can live to bring Him glory

Source: familybugs.wordpress.com
My Mum used to love crocheting, so when my husband and I got married, it wasn’t surprising that we got given quite a few crocheted items; - chair-back covers (very fashionable at the time), mats for the dressing table, sideboard etc.

One day when someone came to stay, out came one or two of these precious items to make the room look nice and welcoming. When he’d gone and the time came to clear up there was no sign of one of the crocheted mats; where had it gone? Perhaps it had got muddled up with his own things! Then all was revealed; - as I emptied the rubbish basket, there amongst the rubbish was a screwed up mat looking a distinctly pale brown as if it had been used to mop up a spilled drink. I suppose that to the uninitiated eye it was a handy cloth for mopping up the liquid, rather than a work of art to be treasured. 

Thankfully after a few washes and soak in bleach it looked more like it was supposed to look. However, it set me thinking; - How much do I stop and think about and value, all the beautiful things God has created and loves to share with me, or do I just take them for granted and even regard them as easily disposed of?

Then came the challenge of not just the physical things but what about the Spiritual things – His Word and His Spirit, and my very life? When I stop and think of all the care and planning that the Lord has put into all His workmanship I have to ask myself  how am I using these beautiful gifts? Am I using them for His Glory and to bless others, and for the right motives? Unfortunately in most cases I find myself unable to give a firm "yes" in reply!

Source: crossrdsministries.wordpress.com
Thankfully, in God’s mercy and grace, when we have messed things up, but truly want to be living for His glory, we can come to the Him in repentance and be forgiven and restored. He says through Isaiah 1:18 “Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow”, because of the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross in shedding His blood. (Much more powerful than any washing powder or bleach)

There is a lovely old hymn written by Charles Wesley which sums this up perfectly:

1. O Thou who camest from above,
the pure celestial fire to impart
kindle a flame of sacred love
upon the mean altar of my heart.

2. There let it for thy glory burn
with inextinguishable blaze,
and trembling to its source return,
in humble prayer and fervent praise.

3. Jesus, confirm my heart's desire
to work and speak and think for thee;
still let me guard the holy fire,
and still stir up thy gift in me.

4. Ready for all thy perfect will,
my acts of faith and love repeat,
till death thy endless mercies seal,
and make my sacrifice complete.

Let’s be encouraged that He wants to help and empower us so that we can live to bring Him glory, for “All things were created by Him and for Him”, as He says in Colossians 1:16.


Author: Joan Townsend

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and other

No comments:

Post a Comment