Saturday 11 December 2021

Inheritance

LORD, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing

walesonline.co.uk
We’ve just returned from a weekend in Wales visiting our welsh family. I have an amazing aunty, who well into her eighties, is still running a substantial hill farm with sheep and cattle.

We had a beautiful clear sunny day on Sunday. Aunty Mag was giving me a comprehensive tour of the farm. She roared up and down the hills on her powerful quad with me clutching onto the rear carrier. I was the gate boy, hopping off to open and close gates, then back to clinging onto my perch. It had been years since I had been around the farm, there was now more land, more stock, more machinery, more buildings and all well looked after. I was so pleased for her and her family, they have worked hard for many years. In fact, she has been a widow for 45 years, but that has not stopped her continuing the farm improvement and expansion. 

Here is Aunty Margaret at a high point on the farm:-


At that stunning viewpoint, I thanked our heavenly Father for all that He had given to them. In the words of Psalm 16:6 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. But I thanked Him that He was my inheritance. What I could see and hear around me was wild and wonderful; and what a privilege to be able to pass this on as an inheritance to ones’ children and grandchildren. However, even considering all this, the Lord has become my chosen portion. Perhaps the words of Graham Kendrick’s song capture my thoughts best:

Knowing you Jesus, knowing you. 
There is no greater thing. 
You’re my all, you’re the best. 
You’re my joy, my righteousness. 
And I love you Lord.

So let’s read through more of that prophetic Psalm 16 (:5-11 NLT) penned by King David about 3000 years ago:

LORD, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing.
You guard all that is mine.
The land you have given me is a pleasant land.
What a wonderful inheritance!
I will bless the LORD who guides me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
I know the LORD is always with me.
I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.
No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice.
My body rests in safety.
For you will not leave my soul among the dead
or allow your holy one to rot in the grave.
You will show me the way of life,
granting me the joy of your presence
and the pleasures of living with you forever.

I want to continue in a future blog to see how Peter (the apostle) used this prophetic psalm on the day of Pentecost as recorded in Acts chapter 2.

Let’s finish with Peter’s exhortation: “Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”


Author: Richard Windridge

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and other

No comments:

Post a Comment