Saturday 29 July 2023

I wanna go the way that leads to life till I draw my dying breath

The duration of life on planet earth is but a drop in an ocean of eternity

dailyverse.knowing-jesus.com
Jesus Comforts His Disciples “Do not let your heart be troubled (afraid, cowardly). Believe [confidently] in God and trust in Him, [have faith, hold on to it, rely on it, keep going and] believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many dwelling places. If it were not so, I would have told you, because I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and I will take you to Myself, so that where I am you may be also. And [to the place] where I am going, you know the way.” Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going; so how can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “[a]I am the [only] Way [to God] and the [real] Truth and the [real] Life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:1-6 Taken from the Amplified Bible

I am, seemingly, a rarity in evangelical Christian circles as I am also a member of a political party and remain interested in politics and current affairs. To me politics is integral to life and life is integral to politics and God gives and is life. That is to say my understanding of politics is about how public policy is developed and how priorities made affect our collective experience of day to day life. I feel that my faith in Jesus Christ and accepting Him as my personal Lord and Saviour following His way is increasingly more incongruous with political life. 

I don’t have an answer yet of directly applying biblical principles to politics and living out His way with boldness even when (especially when) His principles clash with emerging popular political themes and opinions. Gods’ view has to be “top trumps” and to quote an old Petra song, “I am to be in the world not of it” and as I am being conformed to His likeness the incongruity of ‘my way and His way’ brings me back to repentance and change 

I recently listened to a friend bring a short message based on our spiritual walk with Jesus as believers being a narrow path and one of the I AM statements of Jesus,

dailyverses.net
“… ]I am the [only] Way [to God] and the [real] Truth and the [real] Life; no one comes to the Father but through Me”. John 14 v 6 taken from the Amplified Bible

This section of John is entitled Jesus comforts His disciples, He didn’t want them to be left troubled or confused about where He was going, via the suffering and death on the cross (to pay the price for my (your) sin and after rising from the dead and in Him ascending to His Father in heaven to prepare a place for me (you too!). He showed kindness in telling His loved ones a difficult truth that has benefitted every follower of Jesus in the last 2 millennia. 

In speaking truth and being Truth, we know who and where Jesus is and, moreover we know if we accept His gift of salvation and follow Him that we will be with Him for eternity. The duration of life on planet earth is but a drop in an ocean of eternity.

As for my political hobby, Jesus has to be and is my first love and His absolute truth and radical message bringing light to darkness, any political interest must reflect who I am in Him and to His glory. Though when seen through the prism of eternal and abundant life I choose to be a God pleaser.

Father God, let all of my skills, gifts and interests be used to Glorify you. Forgive me Lord when I don’t follow this in everything I do, show me your narrow path in all things. Thank you Lord for leaving me your Word to illuminate your path In Jesus name, Amen.

Song lyrics from Petra Based on Proverbs 14:12, Ephesians 6:6, Galatians 1:10, 1 Thessalonians 4:1, Matthew 6:2, 25:23, Colossians 3:23

So many voices telling me which way to go
So many choices come from those who think they know
There's a way that seems right to a man
But it only brings him death
I wanna go the way that leads to life
Till I draw my dying breath
Don't wanna be a manpleaser - I wanna be a Godpleaser
I just want to have the wisdom to discern the two apart
Don't wanna be a manpleaser - I wanna be a Godpleaser
I just want to do the things that please the Father's heart
Some make a sacrifice and never let it show
Some make a point of letting everybody know
Some will live their lives as unto men
And they have their reward
I just wanna do everything I do
With all my heart unto the Lord
I just want my life to glorify His Son
To make my Father proud that I'm His child before I'm done
No need to pat me on the back or stop the shake my hand
I just want to hear my Father say "Well done, well done"
I just want to hear my Father say "Well done"
Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Bob Hartman
Godpleaser lyrics © Dawn Treader Music



Author: Sarah Chapman

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment