Saturday 11 November 2023

All things work for good

It is the trials and sufferings of life that draw us closer to Him when we truly cry out to Him

zondervanacademic.com
All things work for good, Romans 8:28. How quickly we use this verse to placate ourselves or others to encourage and bless in times of difficulty. Nothing wrong with that but let’s not take it out of context and look at the whole verse.

We know that all things work together for good, to them that love God, to them who are called according to His purpose. We …that is those of us who follow Jesus… know …it is fact. All things, all circumstances, all the troubles and cares of our lives together are intended to do us good as God works out His plans for each of us. 

The world says how can this be? Surely God is love? Why does He let bad things happen? A huge question with no easy answers but I hope that your testimony agrees with mine. It is the trials and sufferings of life that draw us closer to Him when we truly cry out to Him.

This is one of the very first verses I was given as a new Christian in very testing circumstances and to this day I honour the church leader who (I think bravely) spoke it out over myself and my husband. Our newborn daughter was dying, I came to faith during my pregnancy and met Jesus for the first time through His Word and the guidance of the above church leader. I believe too that I was prayed into The Kingdom through the prayers of the church family I had just joined.  

Our baby lived for two weeks and in that roller coaster time of emotions and dashed hopes God was truly my Rock. He was already working for good in my heart, giving me His supernatural strength and showing me His love. 

etsy.com
We talk about “the storms of life” and there are many scriptures describing the reality of these times and God’s presence through them. One such verse that speaks right into my experience is, Psalm 93:4 Mightier than the thunders of many waters, mightier than the waves of the seas, the Lord on high is mighty.

As I was beyond prayer at this time God showed me a simple picture of a little dinghy without a sail being tossed about on a pitch dark stormy sea. I was on that boat desperately clinging on to the mast, it was all I had. God was that mast, with me right in the centre of that storm. 

Of course when she died we still grieved and had to deal with our empty arms and empty cot but with a new found joy and comfort that only God can give. He used it for good as my husband came to faith too through this experience. We can both now testify to the hope we have in Him and the joy of knowing we will be reunited for eternity with our daughter. God truly removed the sting of death replacing our loss with His peace. 

In the early weeks of grief that followed a kindly neighbour spoke to me with that awkwardness that so often accompanies the subject of death. Asking how I was doing she stated how unfair it was as “we were such a lovely family”. Well, I think I gave her some sort of reply to the effect that life seems unfair but God isn’t and what made us so special that it shouldn’t have happened?

Like most of us there have been countless more trials in our family over the years. Cancer, heart attack, redundancy, failed relationships and broken hearts. Each one a testimony of God’s faithfulness to hold our hands and carry us through, drawing us close. Each one with stories of His provision too many to mention here. The hope we have in Him covering all and working for our good as we who are called love Him and seek to follow Him. 


Author: Margaret Riordan

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment