Saturday 24 August 2024

Stewards - not Owners


The person who can cheerfully hand over his life work for God to others and still fully support them in it has become a true worshipper in spirit and in truth.


John 3:30 'He must increase, but I must decrease.'

When the crowds left John the Baptist to follow Jesus, he said "this is the assigned moment for Jesus to move into the centre, while I slip off to the sidelines". John 3v30 (KJV) John thought like a steward.

Grace to Grow
A steward simply manages something for the owner until he comes to take it back.  John knew that the crowd leaving him for Christ was never his to begin with. God had simply placed them under his care for a period of time to accomplish certain purposes. With John this was apparently just fine.

John's view of stewardship presents us with an important principle. For his crowds, maybe our careers, our assets, our natural and spiritual gifts. Are these things owned or merely managed in the Name of the one who entrusted them to us?. Our answer depends on whether we are called or driven. Driven people consider them owned, called people don't.

When driven people lose things, it's a major crisis (ownership, position, possession), however, when called people lose them, it's not a crisis, why? because their calling is (stewardship to a person) the person being the Lord Jesus Christ. Knowing who he was not, was the beginning of John knowing who Jesus was, and john being a steward he didn't aspire to anything beyond that.

In 2 Samuel 7:1-13. Now it came to pass when the king was dwelling in his house, and the LORD had given him rest from all his enemies all around. 2 that the king said to Nathan the prophet, "see now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of God dwells inside tent curtains." 3 then Nathan said to the king, "go do all that is in your heart, for the LORD is with you." 4 But it happened that night that the word of the LORD came to Nathan, saying. 5 "go and tell my servant David, thus says the LORD; "would you build a house for Me to dwell in? 6 "For I have not dwelt in a house since the time that I brought the children of Israel up from Egypt, even to this day, but have moved about in a tent and in a tabernacle. 7  "Wherever I have moved about with all the children of Israel, have I ever spoken a word to anyone from the tribes of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, saying 'why have you not built me a house of cedar?'"  8 "Now therefore, thus shall you say to my servant David, 'thus says the LORD of hosts: "I took you from the sheepfold, from following the sheep, to be ruler over my people, over Israel.  9 "and I have been with you wherever you have gone, and have cut off all your enemies from before you, and have made you a great name, like the name of the great men who are on the earth. 10 "Moreover I will appoint a place for my people Israel, and will plant them, that they may dwell in a place of their own and move no more; nor shall the sons of wickedness oppress them anymore, as previously. 11 "since the time that I commanded judges to be over my people Israel, and have caused you to rest from all your enemies. Also the LORD tells you that He will make you a house. 12 "when your days are fulfilled and you rest with your fathers, I will set up your seed after you, who will come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 "He shall build a house for My Name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 

Bible Art
Whilst king David had set his heart on building the house of God, for years his thoughts had being centred on this project and his savings dedicated to it's fulfilment. He had prayed about it and had even been given a heavenly plan of how it should be constructed. Then came the disappointment, you may think when Nathan the prophet had to tell him that the LORD said that the work will be done by someone else.

King David accepted this disappointment as God's appointment/will, as he continued preparing the materials, handed over the plan to Solomon his son, and encouraged him to complete the task which had being his life ambition/stewardship.

This was true worship for it proved he was not at all concerned for himself, but to be a good steward only for the glory of God. The person who can cheerfully hand over his life work for God to others and still fully support them in it has become a true worshipper in spirit and in truth.

So my brothers and sisters in our Lord Jesus Christ may I just encourage you by saying what is success as God counts success, it's when others hear you, but follow Jesus, it's when others see some quality in you that causes them to fall more in love with Jesus, only when that happens and feel like you've lost nothing in the process, you can truly say father I've done what you called me to do.

I pray may the Lord richly bless and keep you as you in faith run the race, finish the course that He may say well done my good and faithful servant in Jesus Name.  Amen


Author: Herbert Jean

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment