Sunday 8 December 2019

SALVATION - WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

"We cannot understand the value of our salvation until we understand the cost of our salvation".

Life is a continuation of experiences that range from good to not so good. Said another way - the "life experience" is always changing. On 15th October 2009, I had a new experience. To say the least, it was a painfully new experience. On that day I had surgery on my right shoulder. The doctor removed bone spurs from the bone in my shoulder and repaired an extremely long tear in my rotator cuff. After seven days, I could still barely tolerate the pain. Pain pills did not even daunt the pain. The pain was relentless. It was there 24 hours, day and night. I had been spending the night hours without much sleep, sitting upright in a chair to help control the severity of the pain. Hopefully, there would be a day that I could say it was worth it.

I asked the Lord how I could turn this new experience of pain into something positive. What could I learn from this, and how could I grow from this experience? THEN IT CAME TO ME. Pastor Danny Riley once said, "We cannot understand the value of our salvation until we understand the cost of our salvation"I could learn something from this pain and also gain a greater appreciation for my salvation. My pain was confined to my right shoulder and I could barely stand it. 

Jesus knew in the Garden of Gethsemane what His pain would be. He knew that He would be whipped, beaten, and humiliated. He knew that His flesh would be torn from His body. He knew that He would be nailed to the cross. He knew that He was sinless and yet He would take on all sins of the past, present and future. He knew of pain that we do not know about. He knew all of this. He knew it and after agonising to the point of death and even sweating drops of blood, He said to the Father, "Not my will but Yours be done". He willingly agreed to take on the PRICE OF PAIN to provide His blood to cover our sin debt. How can I begin to say thank you, Jesus, for what you chose to do because of your love for us?

Did the pain persist for months? Yes. But it is worth it to be a little closer to Jesus. This pain and understanding the pain that Jesus took on adds value to an appreciation for the cost of my salvation.

Thank you Jesus!!!



Author: David Leatherman

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on
this site with friends, family and others.

2 comments:

  1. Do we understand the pain Jesus went through? This blog certainly challenges us to think of this. The cost of our salvation came not at a cost to us, but at a great cost to Christ who paid it all for us. great blog, Thank you. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lord Jesus Christ i cannot begin to understand the pain you went through on that cross but without the cross there would not be salvation i thank you for my salvation.may the peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with all Amen

    ReplyDelete