Sunday 19 January 2020

The Father's House

But the greatest security of all is to know our Heavenly Father, 'from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named' (Ephesians 3:15).

What is your comfort zone?  Do you have a favourite place to be?  A space where your heart and mind are most at rest, where you can take refuge from the pressures of the day.  Do you share that space? There are people with whom you can relax, in whose company there is no expectation of conversation, or with whom you are free to share silly ideas without recrimination.

We are made with an intrinsic need to belong, an inbuilt yearning that draws us back to family and home.  Even the footloose adventurer and the dysfunctional soul at some point long to return to their roots.  Travelling musicians have been especially prolific in writing songs about home: "And every stranger's face I see reminds me that I long to be, homeward bound, I wish I was, homeward bound." (Simon & Garfunkel). "And I'm surrounded by a million people, I still feel alone, and let me go home." (Michael Buble).  You can probably think of many more.

The Bible abounds with genealogies and lists of family names, because knowing who we are brings stability.  But the greatest security of all is to know our Heavenly Father, 'from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named' (Ephesians 3:15).
Did you know that Jesus, in addition to rescuing us from darkness and despair, has gone ahead to prepare a place perfectly suited to every one of us?
Jesus said to his disciples:
"Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.  In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also." (John 14:1-3)

Here are some comments on what Jesus said:


  • It was the day before his crucifixion, addressed to the few who had already given up everything to follow Him.  Until you have given your life to Christ none of the rest applies.


  • Then a command; not to be disturbed by all that is going on around us.  A simple translation might be, 'don't get agitated'.  The only antidote to being agitated is to believe in Jesus.  It's not enough to believe in an impersonal God; we have to know and to trust in the Person of Jesus.


  • There are two similar words for 'house', 'oikos' and 'oikia', one being a general term for a place to live, the other indicating an abode particular to an individual or family.  To stretch a point it could be the difference between 'house' and 'home'.  This is the latter.


  • The 'rooms' ('mone') that Jesus has gone to prepare for us are permanent and perfect abiding places, bespoke designed for each and every believer.  Early English translators used the word 'mansion' to try to convey the meaning of this special and unique space.  Jesus uses the word again in verse 23 to describe God making His permanent home in us.  A mutual everlasting abiding - amazing!


How do we get to this place?  Jesus is coming back for us.  He is the Way.  Meanwhile He's working on a new heaven and a new earth, so that when we've passed through this temporary transit camp, having given our all in His service, we can take up Jesus' invitation, 'that where I am you may be also'. 

Here are the some of the words of the song that inspired these thoughts:
  
  In the Father's house, no-one stands alone

  I can come as I am

  I'm invited, I am known

  By your grace I'm saved

  By Your blood I'm reborn

  All I have is Yours

  Heaven hears my voice

  For the Father's house is home.




Author: John Plumb

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others
 




1 comment:

  1. Jesus has done it all for us, but for us to benefit from all that He has done we need to respond by surrendering our lives to Him. There is no other way to live in the fullness of Jesus. He has gone to prepare a place for us and He is the only way to get there. Great blog, thank you. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete