Sunday 31 May 2020

Finding The Shelter

This hope leads us to prepare our lives in such a way, that we shall be ready for His appearing.

Psalm 91
This Psalm, is the voice of encouragement and speaks to the man of faith. Under God's protection, nothing can harm him, neither man nor beast, wars or diseases, including pandemics. This is not to say our lives will be a bed of roses.
Psalm 91 has been called the "atomic" age psalm. A psalm of perfect protection from every kind of evil, danger and harm, whatever way it may come.

God is a shelter and a refuge when we are afraid. Our faith in the Almighty God as our protector will take us through all kinds dangers and fears of life. This should be a picture of trust giving all our fears to God. To do this we must dwell and rest with Him. This psalm is well known among Christians and I'd like to focus now on the first two verses of it.

(1) He who dwells in the secret place of the most high, shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. (V1)
 The word abide in Hebrew means " to pass the night." So, this tells us that during the hours of darkness, when we are asleep, as believers we shall be spending the night under the shadow or protection of the Almighty. His angels take charge over us to guard us in our ways

(2) I will say of the LORD "He is my refuge and my fortress; my God, in Him I will trust. (V2)
This is the gateway, into the complete protection of the remaining verses of the psalm.
It is our testimony "I will say." We proclaim it in faith, only then do we have the right to live in it. It is the word of our testimony that makes it effective. 

My Own Experience of Hopelessness.
Looking back over the years, I realise, I didn't have that kind of hope and security, in fact it was a life of hopelessness.
As far back as I can remember, I could not focus on what I wanted to achieve in life, because of illness in my primary years. It was impossible to achieve and accomplish the basic requirements to build my life on. This inadequacy eventually broke me, and I was brought to a place of complete brokenness. I needed a miracle.

This didn't happen until I was 32, when I found Jesus in a Salvation Army Hostel. Seven more years of struggle and battle ensued, until one day Jesus came into my life in a much deeper and powerful way. It changed me completely. Now I knew what it was to come under the Shadow of the Almighty, and to have a hope in the God who saves, and promises He will never leave us. At last I had a hope and purpose for my life, under God.
At that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, from having no hope and without God in the world. (Ephesians 2:12).    

Ultimate Hope for God's People.
For the grace of God has appeared bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires, and to live sensibly, righteously, and godly lives in this present age, looking for the blessed hope, and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Saviour, Christ Jesus. (Titus 2:11-13)  
In verse 13, it tells us to look for the blessed hope and the appearing of our great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
This will impact upon our lives in a wonderful way, (if we allow it to) and our ultimate eternal hope, will be established deep within our spirits. This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which enters the Presence behind the veil. Where the forerunner has entered for us, even Jesus, having become High Priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.

Being Ready For His Appearing.
For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation, to men, instructing us. (v11) 
There are many yet to hear about this grace. That grace is available and provided for all, whether Jew or Gentile, rich or poor, young or old.
Grace provides a way to be a demonstration to others of this hope we have. This hope leads us to prepare our lives in such a way, that we shall be ready for His appearing. John adds: when He appears, we shall be like Him because we shall see Him just as He is, therefore everyone who has this Hope fixed on Him, purifies himself, just as He is pure. (1 John 3:2-3) 

God's Word is the Living Word and He has the last word. "But whoever listen to me will dwell safely, and will be secure, without fear of evil" (Prov 1:33)
But the path of the just is like the shining sun, that shines ever brighter unto the perfect day. (Prov 4:18)





Author: John Yates 

May God bless and enrich your life


Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others.

1 comment:

  1. To dwell in His presence and to hide under the shadow of His wings. What a privilege it is for us who belong to Him to know His presence in that way. Also as the blog says: This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which enters the Presence behind the veil. O to know God goes beyond words. Great blog. Thank you. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete