Saturday 17 October 2020

Reflection on Psalm 139

Do you find it scarier to know that there is nowhere you can go where God is not present, or do you find that affirming and comforting that wherever you are God is with you?


Psalm 139 is one of my favourite passages of Scripture,

I’m overwhelmed by the depth of God’s love for us, that He knew me and loved me before I was even born.

15 You even formed every bone in my body

when You created me in the secret place, 

carefully, skilfully shaping me from nothing to something.

16 You saw who You created me to be before I became me!

Before I’d ever seen the light of day, (TPT)


I find it both challenging and reassuring at the same time, that God knows all there is to know about me, he knows me so completely better than I know myself perhaps.

How do we get our heads around a God who is everywhere, who knows all there is to know about us, who knows us better than we know ourselves, who knows all our thoughts before they are on our lips, yet still loves us with that deep abiding abundant love of Father God. Love so deep and profound, unconditional love not because of anything we have done but because God is Love. Those who live in love live in God and He in them.


Psalm 139 reminds us that God is everywhere, there is nowhere we can go that God is not present, our awesome Creator God.

Do you find it scarier to know that there is nowhere you can go where God is not present, or do you find that affirming and comforting that wherever you are God is with you?


It has taken me along time to grapple with the verses towards the end which talk of hatred, disgust and despise of people. I often used to skip-over these verses but after many years of reflection have come to realise that we need to offer our hearts to God, our thoughts should be focused on God’s purpose and not on any resentments or regrets of the past. God knowns all there is to know about us, He knows our hearts and calls us to love one another.


How do we create a world built on love?

Well it begins with us, each one of us making a commitment to live in Love, to seek God’s heart, to seek to live in and reflect the redemptive, abundant, sacrificial love God has for His children and to know that deep abiding love that the Psalmist speaks of. The faithful eternal love of God. Shown to us in Jesus Christ, when we accept Jesus into our lives and our hearts by the power of the Holy Spirit living in us, we can seek to build a world motivated by the sacrificial, redemptive Love of God.


 Psalm 139 (The Passion Translation TPT)

1 Lord, you know everything there is to know about me.

2 You perceive every movement of my heart and soul,

and You understand my every thought before it even enters my mind.

3–4 You are so intimately aware of me, Lord.

You read my heart like an open book

and You know all the words I’m about to speak

before I even start a sentence!

You know every step I will take before my journey even begins.

5 You’ve gone into my future to prepare the way,

and in kindness You follow behind me

to spare me from the harm of my past.

With Your hand of love upon my life,

You impart a blessing to me.

6 This is just too wonderful, deep, and incomprehensible!

Your understanding of me brings me wonder and strength.

7 Where could I go from Your Spirit?

Where could I run and hide from Your face?

8 If I go up to heaven, You’re there!

If I go down to the realm of the dead, You’re there too!

9 If I fly with wings into the shining dawn, You’re there!

If I fly into the radiant sunset, You’re there waiting!

10 Wherever I go, Your hand will guide me;

Your strength will empower me.

11 It’s impossible to disappear from You

or to ask the darkness to hide me,

for Your presence is everywhere, bringing light into my night.

12 There is no such thing as darkness with You.

The night, to You, is as bright as the day;

there’s no difference between the two.

13 You formed my innermost being, shaping my delicate inside and my intricate outside,

and wove them all together in my mother’s womb.

14 I thank You, God, for making me so mysteriously complex!

Everything You do is marvellously breath-taking.

It simply amazes me to think about it!

How thoroughly You know me, Lord!

15 You even formed every bone in my body

when You created me in the secret place,

carefully, skilfully shaping me from nothing to something.

16 You saw who You created me to be before I became me!

Before I’d ever seen the light of day,

the number of days You planned for me

were already recorded in Your book.

17–18 Every single moment You are thinking of me!

How precious and wonderful to consider

that You cherish me constantly in Your every thought!

O God, Your desires toward me are more

than the grains of sand on every shore!

When I awake each morning, You’re still with me.

19 O God, come and slay these bloodthirsty, murderous men!

For I cry out, “Depart from me, you wicked ones!”

20 See how they blaspheme Your sacred Name

and lift up themselves against You, but all in vain!

21 Lord, can’t You see how I despise those who despise You?

For I grieve when I see them rise up against You.

22 I have nothing but complete hatred and disgust for them.

Your enemies shall be my enemies!

23 God, I invite Your searching gaze into my heart.

Examine me through and through;

find out everything that may be hidden within me.

Put me to the test and sift through all my anxious cares.

24 See if there is any path of pain I’m walking on,

and lead me back to Your glorious, everlasting ways—

the path that brings me back to You.



Author: Diane Webb


May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others

No comments:

Post a Comment