Saturday 11 February 2023

Do the Work of an Evangelist

We are to travel alongside each other to ensure that those we travel with do not veer off the path, to ensure they become disciples, not just get them going on the path and then leave them to it

christian.org.uk
Recently our pastor recommended that we watch an animated version of Pilgrim’s progress by John Bunyan. I was a little dubious because it was an animated version but I had always wanted to read the story of Pilgrims Progress so I did give it a go, and was surprised by what the Lord said to me as I watched it. Many things spoke to me about my life and where I was at the moment. But one thing that struck me was the character of the Evangelist. In my experience an “evangelist“ is the guy who stands on street corners, or in large auditoriums, large tents, or even football stadiums and preaches the gospel about Gods love and salvation, with passion, drawing many to believe and commit their lives to Jesus. But in the film the character of the evangelist does point Christian to God and the celestial city, but he also pops up at other significant times to instruct, challenge or even redirect Christian when he veers off the path or is discouraged. 

This got me thinking. Paul says to Timothy in 2 Timothy 4:5 "But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfil your ministry".  The NLT puts it this way "But you should keep a clear mind in every situation, don`t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at telling others the Good News and fully carry out the ministry God has given you…" Fully carry out the ministry God has given you. What is that? For all of us that will be different. We have all received the great commission from the Lord recorded in Matthew 28:19-20 Therefore go and make disciples of all the nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you (NLT).  But does it stop there. In the film the Evangelist is there at the start of his journey telling Christian about the Celestial City – he gives him the good news about God, salvation and how he can get rid of his burden and points him in the right direction. But he also shows up at other significant times in the story both before and after Christian loses his burden at the cross. He redirects, challenges and encourages him when he has drifted off the path or has faced big challenges.   

This made me think of the times the Lord has sent people into my life to encourage or challenge me at significant times.  

My dear quiet shy friend - who took me to church and introduced me to the Lord- did the work of an evangelist.

The wonderful lady I met on holiday - who sat with me at the back of the church and quietly explained how salvation worked and led me in the prayer of repentance and then prayed with me till I had received assurance of salvation - did the work of an evangelist.

The wonderful couple - who encouraged us while on holiday when we were so distraught about our son. Who prayed for us, befriended us and encouraged us - did the work of an evangelist.

And a dear friend - who when I went to her with worries and issues would sympathise but also challenge and correct me if I was in in the wrong or encourage me to look at things through the Lords eyes - did the work of an evangelist. 

And many, many more children of God going about the ministry God has given them to be an evangelist (bringer of the good news) and continual support to the people they meet. 

dailyverses.net
The thing that impressed me the most is that I have always thought that an evangelist had a `one off` job, telling the Good news about Jesus to someone and bringing them to the Lord. But it would seem that the Lord has a different plan. We are to travel alongside each other to ensure that those we travel with do not veer off the path, to ensure they become disciples, not just get them going on the path and then leave them to it. Instead we are to be available to for the Lord to use to help them along their journey. Now it might be we are a link in a chain of many people helping them or at times a more intense period of support. In other words, to be responsible.

I have never thought of myself as an evangelist, I’m not very good at sharing my faith and tend to feel a bit shy and tongue tied when trying to simply tell people what the Lord has done for me. But even though I may not be a very successful Evangelist in leading people to the Lord (as some are gifted to be) I can aim to be a good supportive evangelist on their journey. When Paul says to Timothy do the work of an evangelist, fulfil your ministry it’s a cry for Timothy to be vigilant in all parts of the Evangelist role. He is pointing out that its not a one stop job, but a continuing ministry to people making sure they don’t stumble on the way, fulfilling whatever the Lord may direct him to help them with. We can see from the life of Paul that he was a terrific Evangelist in sharing the Gospel and establishing churches etc. its recorded that over his ministry he travelled more that 10,000 miles and established at least 14 churches. He continues guiding them through his letters to them and by empowering leaders to lead them. He often had plans to revisit them to encourage them and some he did. He fulfilled his work as an evangelist both to lead people to the Lord and to ensure they didn’t flounder on their journey.  He fulfilled his ministry. 

I found this both a challenge and an encouragement. A challenge because sometimes we know people need encouraging but we feel low, distracted or busy ourselves and it is easy to think someone else will contact or encourage them, it is good to remind us that God calls us all to be evangelists and thereby if he calls he will equip us. So, we can rely upon the Lord both to prompt and to equip us to help someone along the path so they don't veer off or get discouraged. And encouraged because when we reach out to help or encourage in whatever way that’s needed, spiritual, emotional or practical we can be assured we are fulfilling God purpose for our lives too. Being an evangelist is a lifetimes work. Because when all else fails and we cannot support our brothers in person or practically etc through age or circumstance, we can call them and pray for them. Continuing to encourage them along the path we travel together.

May God bless you today as you do the work of an Evangelist in whatever way The Lord has called you to fulfil your ministry.



Author: Jan Pearson

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and other 

No comments:

Post a Comment