Saturday 12 August 2023

Preparation

Jesus has left us amply prepared with everything we need to follow him, in His word. Its all there we just have to read and believe.

dailyverse.knowing-jesus.com
We recently planned to celebrate a couple of milestones in our lives with an outdoor party. We had chosen a venue and made lots of plans for what would happen on the day. But as the day neared the BBC forecast heavy rain all day. Oh no what should we do? Nothing for it but to change venue. We then had to frantically inform all the guests of the changes, parking arrangements and road conditions around the new venue. We wanted our guests to be prepared and not get lost or stressed on the day. My reading this morning reminded me of this, it is the chapter in John’s gospel where Jesus prepares his disciples for his departure from the world. In John 14:1-4 Jesus says “Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father`s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you so that you will be with me where I am. And you know the way to where I am going.” The rest of the chapter is full of preparation for the disciples and for us for the time when Jesus will go back to heaven.    

To Thomas; who was alarmed that he would get lost because he didn’t know the way to where Jesus was going and needed clear and precise instructions, Jesus said  “I am the way the truth and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me” (Verse 6 NLT) In other words dear Thomas just follow me because I am the way. You know this Thomas because you have been following me all this time. Don’t worry that you will get lost when things get hard and you cannot physically see me. You know me Thomas and so you know my Father, so just carry on following all I have told you and remembering all you have seen me do and you will not get lost. How we need to be reminded of this truth in our lives when the path ahead is unclear and we wished we had clear instructions. Jesus says I Am the way, just follow me. All you need is in me so trust what you know of me from your own experience and trust the word of God that describes me. I will lead you straight in all circumstances and bring you to me and to my Father.

To Philip; who just needed assurance that Jesus was who he said he was “show us the Father and we will be satisfied” (Verse 8 NLT) Philip needed to know that Jesus was who he said he was, that he had the power and authority to get him through. Jesus clearly laid out in the following verses that if Philip had seen and experienced Jesus in his life then he had experienced God and all God's authority. It's at times of change and confusion that we often need reassurance of who Jesus really is and what authority he has over the things that assail us. Thomas panicked because he was afraid that he would get lost because he couldn’t see Jesus. Philip panicked because he needed to know Jesus was the real deal, and that he was following the right person.

To the other disciples Jesus had some amazing preparatory promises.

kfuo.org
Verse 18 “No I will not abandon you as orphans” (NLT) Jesus knew one of our greatest fears is abandonment and isolation. That feeling of having no one to look after us, of being totally alone. It’s a powerful fear. Jesus left his followers (us) in no doubt that He would be with us and we would never be isolated or alone. He said clearly that “I will come to you“. He also explained and prepared the disciples for how he was going to do that. “I will ask the Father and he will give you another Advocate (comforter or encourager) who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit who leads you into all truth.” (Verse 16-17 NLT)   

And to Judas (not Iscariot) who was concerned about us (the world at large and those who would believe because of the message the disciples delivered) Verse 22 “Lord are you going to reveal yourself to us and not to the world at large?” He said “All who love me will do what I say My Father will love them and we will come and make our home with each of them” Verse 23 (NLT) 

He assured Judas (and now us) that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit will come and make His home in our lives. This is such a wonderful promise that God loves us so much and wants to be that close to us that He comes and lives in us.  In life we choose who we live with and that choice is based on lots of different things. Love, family, necessity. But on the whole, we like to choose who we live with based on compatibility. But Jesus says that the Godhead will love us and choose to make their home in us!! Wow, what a promise. 

And finally, the greatest preparation promise of all. “I am leaving you with a gift – peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.” Verse 27 (NLT) Jesus gifted us with peace of mind and heart. If we have peace, we have everything God wants for us in a single word. This is why Satan tries so hard to rob that peace from us. Because when we lose it, we start to feel all the concerns and worries that the disciples questioned him about. `Will I get lost or be separated from God. Has God got the power to keep me from falling, does Jesus really have the power to save and change my life. Will I be abandoned and left on my own to my own devises, will I fail? But the answer is NO! Jesus has left us amply prepared with everything we need to follow him, in His word. Its all there we just have to read and believe. And when we stumble the Holy Spirit steps in to lead us, comfort us, challenge us back on to the path the Lord has for us and cause us to grow in our dependence on Him every day. What a preparation. Our salvation was planned. Planned from the beginning of time, with everything we would need catered for, by our generous and loving Father.

Thank you, Lord, for making such elaborate plans for my life I am forever grateful that you have taken care of everything.



 Author: Jan Pearson

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment