Saturday 9 September 2023

Don't Let Your Lives Become Dry and Barren

Is it time to reset, draw a line, repent of our apathy and once again get the excitement in our spirits that we had when we first gave our hearts to the Lord.


Pinterest
I was driving through parts of Birmingham a few days ago and it suddenly dawned on me the different look and feel as I drove through each of the areas. 

Some areas looked grey and barren almost as though the land was cursed and other areas looked alive and full of life. As I thought about this, I realise why it was and remembered seeing something similar as we drove through the different areas in Israel in 2012 where it was commented upon.

This made me think of the scripture in Deuteronomy 28 and especially verses 1-3 & 8 NIV

Part of the blessing:

If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all His commands I give you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. 2 All these blessings will come on you and accompany you if you obey the LORD your God: 3 You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country...... 8 The LORD will send a blessing on your barns and on everything you put your hand to. The LORD your God will bless you in the land he is giving you.

And also Deuteronomy 28:15-17,38-39 NIV

Part of the curses:

However, if you do not obey the LORD your God and do not carefully follow all his commands and decrees I am giving you today, all these curses will come on you and overtake you: 16 You will be cursed in the city and cursed in the country. 17 Your basket and your kneading trough will be cursed. 38 You will sow much seed in the field but you will harvest little, because locusts will devour it. 39 You will plant vineyards and cultivate them but you will not drink the wine or gather the grapes, because worms will eat them.

It occurred to me that as a nation we have forsaken God and His Word and are reaping the consequences of our actions. There is another part of that chapter that talks about how the land will be given to others and how they will rule over Israel. I fear we are seeing the same things starting to happen in our nation.

So, what's the solution? Well scripture is clear that the only remedy for such curses and disaster is repentance and seeking God’s forgiveness. A scripture that has been mention a lot during and since Covid is: 2 Chronicles 7:14 ‘if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.’ (NIV).

This clearly puts the responsibility on the church’s shoulders, ‘if My people’ the scripture says. 

The other thing that came to mind was our own walk with God, and are the times that we live in causing our souls to become grey and barren? Is it time to reset, draw a line, repent of our apathy and once again get the excitement in our spirits that we had when we first gave our hearts to the Lord. I’m sure none of us want to hear Jesus speak these words to us ‘But I have this against you: You have departed  from your first love!’ (Revelation 2:4 NIV).

The good news is we don’t have to, Jesus is alive! He is and always will be in control, He won the victory on the cross, defeating death, hades and satan so that we can walk in freedom and victory. We have the hope of our salvation, we can walk in that freedom and victory so that even in these crazy times when people are rejecting the truth of the gospel and doing as they want, including parts of the so called church, we can keep rejoicing because He will guide us through in paths of righteousness for His own Name’s sake. We should be the happiest people on earth, but some of us need to tell our faces of this fact because quite often that’s not how we look.

Jesus never promised us an easy life “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33 NIV). Though we may have troubles in this world, and oh boy! do we ever sometimes, nevertheless if we stand firm to the end one of the many promises God has given us is;

Bible.com
‘’Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. 21 To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” (Revelation 3:19-22 NIV).

Come on Church! Let’s not give up or allow our lives to become grey and barren, but let’s keep rejoicing in the promises of God over our lives and be ‘a people of promise’ and a hope for those around us. Let’s shine Jesus and the hope of His glory.

Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb. (Revelation 22:1 NV).

Let the river of God set your feet a dancing and remember Paul’s exhortation to the church in Philippians 4:4-7  ‘’Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Be encouraged, be a people of power, be a people of blessing, and let your praises to God never cease.



Author: Kevin Hunt

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment