Saturday 7 October 2023

Lights in the World?

The light we present is at best, a reflected light, because we have no light of ourselves but rely on the source of our light, Jesus

dailyverse.knowing-jesus.com
I never cease to be amazed, that words written nearly 200 years ago, based on words written 2000 years ago, still resonate in my heart and provide me with both a challenge and encouragement.

As many of you will know, I love reading the words of the great Victorian preacher, Charles Spurgeon, not only for his Godly insight but also because of the exquisite use of the English language, dated as it may be.

My daily ‘fix’ comes from two main sources; “Faith’s Chequebook”, published in 1888 and “Morning and Evening”, published in 1866.

On 6th September the morning reflection from “Morning and Evening” was based  on Philippians 2:15, however, I try to make it my practice to read the scripture in context of the whole chapter. As that other great preacher, David Pawson, was fond of saying; “A text taken out of context is a pretext”.

The ESV says, in Philippians 2:12–17

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labour in vain. Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me.

The first thing that struck me was that we are called to be lights in the world. There is only one light of the world, that is Jesus, as it says in John 8:12Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness but will have the light of life.” 

The light we present is at best, a reflected light, because we have no light of ourselves but rely on the source of our light, Jesus.

In his reflection, Spurgeon talks about the purposes of the light we reflect, not about its qualities and this is where I found myself challenged, as to how I fulfil those purposes.

He lists four major purposes of light, Illumination, Guidance, Warning and Encouragement.

quotefancy.com
On the subject of Illumination, which he describes as, “to make manifest” he says that as Christians, our lives should reflect the light of Jesus in such a way, that “a person could not live with us for a week without knowing the Gospel.” Our conversation should make it obvious to all who hear, who we serve, and our daily lives should reflect the image of Jesus.

Wow! I wish I could say I ticked that box. When I consider my attitudes, behaviour and conversation, I’ve an awfully long way to go to truly reflect Jesus as I should.

Secondly, Spurgeon talks about Guidance. We are called to help those around us who are in the dark. We have the Word of life to offer them, and we are called to point sinners to the Saviour, to offer a place of rest to those who are weary. Like Philip we should be willing and able to explain God’s Word to those who may ask.

Once again, I find myself unable to say “Yes, I do that”. How can I offer Guidance to people in need if I keep what I have to myself, because it’s the ‘easy’ option?

Spurgeon then moves on to the light as a Warning. Light houses have been erected around our coast for many hundreds of years, to warn of the dangers of rocks and shoals. In the 18th Century, and even up to the present day

In some parts of the world, wreckers use false lights to lure unsuspecting vessels onto dangerous shores. In the same way the world has labelled activities acceptable, or even advisable, which will lead people into wrong choices and alienate them from God. It is our task, as representatives of Christ, to warn them of the error of their ways, in a loving and non-judgemental way and to guide them back to the truth. How often have I simply ‘kept my head down’, to avoid 'offending people’ or  through fear of being accused of bigotry? Too often, I’m afraid.

Finally, Spurgeon says, we, as Christians, should be Encouragers, he refers to a “Cheering Influence”.  We should be prepared to be comforters, to be able to offer kind words and have sympathy in our hearts for those who are hurting. He ends by saying we should “carry sunshine wherever we go and diffuse happiness around us”.

He often ends his reflection with a prayer, or the words of a hymn and he adds:

“Gracious Spirit dwell with me:
I myself would gracious be,
And with words that help and heal
Would thy life in mine reveal ,
And with actions bold and meek
Would for Christ my saviour speak.”

At the start of this blog, I said that I found Spurgeon’s reflections Challenging as well as Encouraging. In this case I think the former holds true more than the latter. However, as with so many things in my Christian walk, I am encouraged that the God I serve is patient and knows my weaknesses and offers through the Holy Spirit the means to tick a few more boxes.

The words of the above prayer are ones I shall claim for my own going forward. How about you?

Have a blessed week.



Author: Alan Cameron

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment