Saturday 20 January 2024

How Do You Walk Out Your Faith?

Abraham knew that if God said it, then it was, even if he couldn’t see it.

Hebrews 11:1 says ‘Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.’ (NIV).

Seek and Save the Lost
So how does this translate in our walk with God? Do we believe God when He makes clear what He wants us to do, and how do we demonstrate that?

James 2 tells us that it’s no good claiming we have faith unless it’s backed up by deeds. Verse 14 says ‘What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? And verse 18 says ‘But someone will say, ‘’You have faith; I have deeds.’’ Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.’’

These scriptures and in particular chapter 4 of Romans have recently brought me to a decision that I can’t say I have faith in God unless I’m willing to believe Him and act on it, when He says He’s going to do something or makes it clear that He wants me to do something. Which may be to physically do something or to take it back to Him in prayer as a starting point.

A good example of this is found in the book of Romans when Paul is talking about the faith of Abraham in chapter 4 which is what we will look at now. He starts this chapter by asking a question. ‘What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, discovered in this matter? (Romans 4:1) A good question, so what did Abraham discover and how did he demonstrate it? 

Well for me the clue to this comes in verse 17b-21 ‘God who gives life to the dead and calls into being things that were not.’ 18 Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed and so became the father of many nations, just as it had been said to him, “So shall your offspring be. 19 Without weakening in his faith, he faced the fact that his body was as good as dead—since he was about a hundred years old—and that Sarah’s womb was also dead. 20 Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 21 being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised. (NIV).

The key is in these words ‘God who gives life to the dead and calls into being things that were not.’ Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed’ and ‘gave glory to God, being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised.

Abraham knew that if God said it, then it was, even if he couldn’t see it. And against all hope he believed and because he not only believed but was fully persuaded that what God said would happen, because He had the power to make it happen, he gave Him glory. And the result was that God credited it to him as righteousness.

There in lies the example to us, but how often do we walk in such faith and how often are we willing to proclaim to people that something has happened even when it can’t be seen?

Let me give you an example of this in way of my paraphrased testimony, and by doing so I know I may be putting everything on the line, but I can’t write this blog and not, at least, try to live it.

Mountain Top Musings
At the beginning of May 2023 God clearly told me to treat Victory Hall in Castle Bromwich as a church plant, so I started to look at how I could do this. Since then, there have been a lot of ups and downs, twists and turns and a huge learning curve for me, but I now realise that God had a number of things to sort out first and also to get me to a point where I was ready to do it His way and His way alone. This includes God’s timing. 

You see when God gives a vision or instruction about something it doesn’t necessarily mean He wants it done straight away. Often there’s a preparation time, when you have to work out not only what God wants, but when He wants it done and how He wants it done.

At the end of 2023 when all that I'd tried to do didn't work, I finally surrendered to God and admitted I hadn’t got a clue what to do or how to do it, so I gave it all back to Him. It was then that God started to move me and has brought me back to the place of realising that He alone is enough for me and I’m to walk this journey as though it’s already happened just like Abraham did. This has released me to a place of freedom and peace.

So, I’m giving glory to God and have started preparing Victory Hall for its first meeting of the church plant, believing that God has already called and equipped those He wants to bring along side me on this journey.

Bottom line: we should walk as though what God has told us will happen, has happened, because He has the power to do what He says He will do, or what He has promised. As James puts it ’’Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.’’

2 Corinthians 5:7 says ‘for we live by faith not by sight’. Is this true of our lives?

I am fully aware that walking in this way will take courage, but what have we got to lose? Our reputation maybe? If that’s all then I believe it’s worth it, because Jesus lost a lot more than that for us. So I guess we need to ask ourselves, what are we willing to give up for him?

Let me finish with the scripture I started with.

‘Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.’ (Hebrews 11:1 NIV). (Underlines added).

May God give you courage and bless you with the confidence and full assurance that you can indeed trust Him and walk by faith not by sight. Amen.



Author: Kevin Hunt

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment