Sunday 13 January 2019

Unforgiveness

Sometimes unforgiveness lies buried deep in our hearts and we are not aware that it's there

Source: YouTube
As Christians, one of the things that sets us apart is that Jesus commands us to forgive. This is an on-going part of our lives because there will always be times when we have to forgive those who have hurt us. When we accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour, He forgives us for all our sins and if He forgives us then how can we not do the same to others?  In Matthew 6:14-15 Jesus tell us; ‘For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins’. This is a command – we are to do it! Also, in Luke 11:4 the Lord's Prayer says, ‘and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us’. This is the pattern for our lives. When we are aware that we need to forgive someone, we should do it. If it is very difficult and painful to do, we should cry out to God to help us and we choose to forgive by an act of our will. If we need to keep on forgiving that person, then that's what we do. The moment will eventually come when we are able to forgive from our hearts.

If we are unable to forgive, bitterness enters our hearts and the fruit of it is not good. It harms us and keeps us captive to the person who hurt us. People can misunderstand what forgiveness is, it is NOT saying that the harm done to us is okay and it is NOT condoning what has been done to us.  However, when we are able to forgive, it sets us free! Ephesians 4:31-32 ‘Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you’. In Matthew 18:21-22 Peter asks Jesus; ‘Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?’ And Jesus answers, ‘I tell you not seven times, but seventy-seven times’.

Source: Bible.com
Sometimes unforgiveness lies buried deep in our hearts and we are not aware that it's there. I had been a Christian for a couple of years when I went on a healing retreat. On the first evening we were told to ask God if we needed to forgive anyone. I thought I was fine but as I closed my eyes, the Minister of the church that my family went to when I was young came straight into my mind. I hadn't even thought about him for many years and I didn't know that I had been harbouring such feelings about him for so long. I had been angry with him because of his lack of care and concern towards my Father who became ill when I was a teenager and particularly because he never visited my Father when he was in hospital when he was in a coma (my father miraculously survived). I was amazed that I had harboured this anger in my heart for so many years. We need the Holy Spirit to bring these things to our minds. It's about being open to allow God to show us what we need to deal with in our lives and it is good to wait on God in order for Him to reveal anything that is wrong. It is all too easy for us humans to have unforgiveness in our hearts and to bear a grudge against someone, however He always gives us the grace we need in order to forgive – He loves us, we are His children!

God bless.

Author: Muriel Allen

May God bless and enrich your life

Please feel free to share this article and other articles on this site with friends, family and others

6 comments:

  1. This blog fits very well with the Word we have received at the start of the year; 'to not look back'. Unforgiveness is so often a snare that acts as a stumbling block which prevents God from fulfilling His potential in peoples lives because it weighs them down like a ball and chain. Jesus is the ultimate example who even though He had been battered and beaten and suffered horrendous pain, which He did not deserve, He said 'forgive them for the know not what they do'. What an example! May all who suffer from unforgiveness decide to leave their baggage behind today and as a result start to see the Power of God in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dear sister in Christ for taking the time to Bless the Body of Christ with
    this blog. ALL the Glory to God ALWAYS.

    "I will live forgiven.
    I WILL forgive so that I may live"

    Father God please help us by the Power of the Holy Spirit to capture EVERY thought that is NOT of you, for your Kingdom and for your Glory we pray without ceasing.
    As the words of the song say
    "Here is my heart Lord"
    God Bless xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgiveness isn't always easy but it is extremely powerful. It stops the enemy getting a foothold in our lives, it brings freedom to our souls and minds, it stops those who hurt us continuing to do so every time we think of what they did, it means that we too can be forgiven by God and it brings us into a closer relationship with God as we walk in His desire for us to do so. Forgive and you will be forgiven. Jesus has set us free to continue to walk in that freedom we need to be able to forgive. Great blog, thank you. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for this blog today on unforgiveness as Jesus Christ says---you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free . I have known people who have been tormented with all kinds of illnesses because of holding onto unforgiveness , but praise God He can and does set us free from that? and yes as you wrote , I truly believe there are situations and persons we don't even realise we feel angry towards from past or present?, its a good idea to let God show us by his spirit if there is anyone we need to forgive . may the Lord truly bless you for bringing this matter to our attention xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the words of God in the blog today which reminds and command us to forgive the promise is the same way we forgive our father in heaven will forgive us so let the holy spirit search our hearts and let be obedience to our Lord Jesus who forgave all our sin may the peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with all Amen

    ReplyDelete
  6. How important this message is. Sadly there are many in the body of Christ who refuse to forgive. I've certainly had some challenges to forgive, over the years, but the Spirit of God has always been there to help when I've asked for it. I'm certain that without His help I never would have been able to truly forgive from my heart.

    ReplyDelete