Sunday 10 November 2019

GOD is Faithful

When the medical profession have drawn the curtains on your life but you have that inner peace and know that God is in control of your life story.

I pray that as you read this you will be encouraged that God is in control of all things – the good and the bad.

Two years ago I found a lump in my breast and it was discovered that I had a very rare type of cancer which is basically incurable. As the physician was telling me what procedures they were intending to carry out I felt an audible voice say ‘’This isn’t the road I want you to go down’’.
The physician asked me if I had heard what he said as I hadn’t given a reaction. They were setting up 5 procedures for the next week but I said I wanted to go away for a couple of weeks and read up on this particular strain of cancer. What I read was pretty awful but I had the peace of God in my heart. They initially wanted me to have 2 years of the most toxic chemo and radiotherapy, which I declined.

The next year was full of tests, results, hospital visits and an operation. Not a day went past where I was not encouraged by a scripture, love of a friend or a hug from my favourite person in all the world, my lovely husband. This last year we have celebrated both our 60th birthdays our Ruby wedding anniversary and the birth of 2 new grandchildren, (one of them being an extra special miracle from God).

One really important lesson I learned was to tell and show the people around us that we love them. My dear childhood friend got in touch with me just before my 60th birthday and took me to a spa retreat as a gift. She isn’t a Christian but when she found out about the cancer she threw her arms around me, kissed me over my face and told me how much she loved me and was there anything she could do to make things easier for me. Another blessing was that there was a drawing closer of my two sisters and myself that through sheer busyness and time constraints had become distant.

All my Christian life I had believed others should know we are Christians by the way we conduct our lives, but since I received the news they expected me to be dead by the end of 2018 it has made me more bold to proclaim the goodness of God. In the past few weeks as I have sat having a coffee two people just started telling me their life story (both very sad), and I asked if they would like me to pray for them, and they both said ‘yes’. Something I know I wouldn’t have done previously.

When I say now that every day is a gift it has so much more meaning. When the medical profession have drawn the curtains on your life but you have that inner peace and know that God is in control of your life story.

Isaiah 41:10 fear not, for I am with you be not dismayed, for I am your God I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

When the doctors and nurses asked why I refused all the treatment I just replied that God has me in the palm of His hands and only He knows my first and last day and whether He heals me or takes me home that’s up to Him. I am not saying this route is right for others, I always thought I would just follow the doctor’s advice until this illness came knocking at my door and that was all turned on its head. I rarely tell people about this illness because, often others don’t know how to deal with it and feel awkward as to whether to mention it or ignore it.

I can honestly say that I have loved and served God in many ways over nearly 40 years, but I have never felt as close to Him as I have whilst dealing with this storm in life. I realise He really is the Author and Perfecter of my faith. That I am the apple of His eye. That no weapon formed against me will prosper. So for anyone reading this blog today, if you are struggling mentally, physically or spiritually, know that God is just a breath away. He knows what you need, He’s just waiting for you to ask.

I pray that if you are one of the people who have walked away from your faith because something or someone has cut in on you, make the decision today to go back to your first love and give Him the honour He deserves. I promise if we look to Him and not to others, we will NEVER be disappointed.



Author: Lyn Hunt

1 comment:

  1. God is SO faithful and His mercies NEVER end. Thank you for this amazing testimony of faith. God bless.

    ReplyDelete